Stepparents Aren't Alone:
If you're a stepfather, stepmother, stepdaughter or stepson, you may feel isolated. Perhaps no close friends have stepchildren or stepparents, and you struggle with your unique role.
But stepfathers, stepmothers and stepchildren are far from alone in the U.S. There are millions of us out there, creating blended families every day.
Here are some hard numbers.
Millions of Children Live With a Stepparent:
- 5.5 million children live with at least one stepparent. That's 7.6% of the minor children in the U.S. in 2004.
- 1.2 million children live with at least one stepsibling (1.7%).
- 12.1 million children live in blended families. That is families that include either a stepsibling or stepparent or a half-sibling. (16.6%)
Millions of Parents Live With a Stepdaughter or Stepson:
- 3.3 million men live with at least one stepchild. That's 11.1% of U.S. fathers.
- 1.1 million women live with at least one stepchild, or 3% of all mothers.
Millions of Households Include Stepchildren
- 40 million households include children under 18 years old.
- 3.6 million households with children contained at least one child and stepparent (9.1%).
- 4.7 million households with children are blended families. That means they either include a stepchild and parent or half or stepsiblings (11.6%).
Source: the U.S. Census Bureau. All figures refer to 2004.