When to Observe Grandparents Day:
Origin of Grandparents Day:
Grandparents as Caregivers:
Millions of grandparents take on the responsibility of raising two generations, by being the primary caregivers for their grandchildren.
- 6.1 million grandparents share their homes with their grandchildren younger than 18.
- 2.5 million grandparents are responsible for one or more of the basic needs of a grandchild who lives with them, such as food, shelter, or clothing. 1.6 million are grandmothers and 896,000 are grandfathers.
- Of the grandparents who provide a basic need, 1.4 million work, 477,000 earn income below the poverty line, and 730,000 have a disability.
Children Who Live With Their Grandparents:
- 5.7 million children live with a grandparent, about 8 percent of all U.S. children. Of these, 3.7 million live in the grandparent’s home.
- 30% of children younger than 5 with working moms were cared for by a grandparent on a regular basis during their mother's work hours.
Source: the U.S. Census Bureau
For more fun facts about the holidays, check out the About Working Moms calendar of holiday facts.