Career Advancement for Working Moms
Becoming a Working Mom
Congratulations! You're pregnant or about to adopt a child. Here's what you need to know about becoming a working mom. Plan for the unexpected and let go what you can't control. It's a joyous rollercoaster, so learn from moms who've taken the ride before you.
- Decide How Much Maternity Leave to Take
- 8 Pitfalls of New Working Moms
- Essentials for Returning to Work
- Surviving the First Week Back on the Job
- Read About Other Moms' Maternity Leaves
Office Life (and Politics)
The bliss - or boredom - of maternity leave is over and you're back at work. Some colleagues will be delighted by the baby stories and others will use them against you behind your back. Here's a roadmap to the new landscape of office politics for working moms - and some tips for making the most of your time on the job.
Job Search and Networking
Whether you were laid off or voluntarily sought a new position, job hunting can feel more perilous when you're a working mom. It doesn't have to be. You can even network in your carpool or at your child's soccer game. And knowing that your family relies on your income can make your job hunting all the more targeted.
- Interview With "Parachute" Author Richard N. Bolles
- Family Topics to Avoid in Interviews
- Career Change Tools for Women
Your Rights as a Working Mom
As a working mom, you're vulnerable to discrimination but you also have new protections. It's important to understand your new rights as a working mother.
- Pregnancy Discrimination Claims Rising
- Family and Medical Leave Act Benefits
- What Are Your Rights Under FMLA?
The Executive Suite
Becoming a working mom doesn't rule out advancing to the executive suite. Read about other women who became top executives while raising a family. Their stories will help you navigate the challenges of a demanding career on your path to the top.
- Michelle Obama's Work and Family Choices
- Sara Lee CEO Brenda Barnes Dishes on Her Career Break
- Learn From Maria Shriver's Identity Crisis
Career Resources and Gear
Now for the goodies. Whether it's lightweight electronics that can live in your purse or diaper bags fit for the office, I've tried out the most mouth-watering and affordable products out there. Here's all the gear you need -- and will enjoy -- in combining motherhood with a career.